How To Cook Chapchae/Japchae 101

Japchae was been my favorite since I tasted it from my boyfriend's mom. So last Saturday me and my boyfriend decided to make a chapcha...

Japchae was been my favorite since I tasted it from my boyfriend's mom. So last Saturday me and my boyfriend decided to make a chapchae/japchae. It is a very flavorful and nutritious dish that can be served as a main meal, snack or appetizer. Traditionally, Jap chae is served on holidays or special occasions. The glass noodles ("Dang-myeon") used in this recipe are made from sweet potatoes. They have a unique and pleasant texture, and don't feel heavy like flour-based pastas. If you use this recipe and simply omit the meat, it can be an excellent vegetarian dish.

So here's what I did. Yes! I just googled some ingredients and the procedure since we weren't able to ask my boyfriends mom. Serving's good fro 4-5 persons.


Ingredients: 

  • 150 g Glass Noodles ½ Onion (Medium)
  • 75 g Carrot (large Korean carrot) 
  • 50 g Shiitake mushroom 
  • 75 g Sliced Beef Sirloin 
  • ⅔ ml Garlic (minced) 
  • 15 ml Vegetable Oil 1 ml
  • Salt ½ ml
  • Black Pepper 
  • 2 pcs of eggs

 For seasoning

  • 60 ml Soy Sauce (regular) 
  • 30 ml Sugar 5 ml Garlic (minced) 
  • 30 ml Sesame Oil 
  • 5 ml Sesame Seeds 
  • 1 ml Black Pepper
  • 1 jar of bulgogi marinade (optional)

Instructions:
  1. Soak the shitake mushroom for an hour (it is sold dry). As well as cut the sirloin beef into strips and marinade it using the bulgogi marinade for 30 mins 1 hour. (This is what I did for the beef this is my own method)
  2. Prepare the seasoning. Mix 4 tablespoons of soy sauce, 2 tablespoons of sugar, 2 tablespoons of sesame oil, 1 teaspoon of sesame seeds, 1 teaspoon of minced garlic and a pinch of black pepper in a bowl.
  3. Cut the onion and julienne that carrots
  4. Boil the glass noodles for 6-8 mins. DO NOT OVER COOK!
  5. Drain the noodles.
  6. In a separate pan, saute the carrots and onion just add salt and pepper and oil if it is sticking in the pan.
  7. After soaking the shitake mushroom in the water.Squeeze the water out and julienne it too, then soak it again to the seasoning you first made.
  8. Fry the bulgogi in a separate pan and remove it and set aside (this will be our toppings.
  9. Scramble the egg and add salt and pepper. (Fry it and set aside,for toppings)
  10. Saute the shitake mushroom for 3-4 mins then add the carrots and onions. Put some of the seasoning and let it evaporate.
  11. Mix all the ingredients as well as the noodles. Mix mix mix! yuuum!
  12. When serving topped it with the bulgogi as well as the egg.
  13. That's it and you're done!

Sorry for the lack of images. me and my boyfriend forgot to took the pictures! hahahaha.More food posts to come!

You Might Also Like

0 comments